23 August 2008

Travel Highlights (part 1)




I've been settling back into life at home after a stimulating trip to Maine and back, with many stops along the way. I first visited Hollis Engley and his wife Dee on Cape Cod. I met them when I was teaching at the Torpedo Factory years ago. Hollis and I spent a lot of time together working on the wood burning kiln we built with Bill Van Gilder. Hollis moved to the Cape about 10 years ago and has run his Hatchville Pottery ever since.
We went kayaking in Buzzards' Bay and up a beautiful creek past clam diggers and all kinds of boats. I really enjoyed spending time with all these folks whose lives are centered on the water; ferryboat captains, sailors, kayakers and fishermen add a different flavor to life. Some are proud of how long it's been since they 'crossed the bridge' (left the Cape). Thank goodness that regional differences still exist.

I'm getting ready to start some serious throwing with the hope of doing two wood firings before the new year. Autumn is not far away...my favorite time to make pots.

No comments: