15 July 2010

Can't...Stop...the...Birds.......

 After some extra large sculptural birds I'm now working on some smaller lidded ones. I have some very small ones to finish tomorrow and I continue to be excited by these regardless of the scale. I have always enjoyed changing the scale of an individual form..there are obvious and subtle differences that keep it  challenging.
I'm trying to figure out how to make a long 's' shaped neck, but this long straight one sure ended up with a lot of character. I added some fearsome feet to it after this photo. It's about 20" high at this point.
This is a good 'before' photo. There are 4 pieces here...the pedestal, the container and a two part lid.

11 comments:

Kari Weaver said...

Those are so awesome! how are you going to fire them?

Anna M. Branner said...

Wow, that form is fantastic Dan.

cookingwithgas said...

don't stop-keep-going!

Hollis Engley said...

I hear there's a 12-step program for this bird addiction ...

Dennis Allen said...

For some reason this guy reminds me of a dim witted cartoon penguin.Very nice.

Linda Starr said...

Alfred please don't releast too many birds at once.

Anonymous said...

hi dan, love the birds especially the two faced bird in the previous post and the one with the really long neck.

Elizabeth Seaver said...

I just love these, Dan!

Hannah said...

Fab, wonderfully crazily fab. Fill the world with birds Mr F.

Unknown said...

I'm crazy about your birds!! Keep on goin'

megan hicks said...

Ditto what Dennis Allen said. I think you've created the dimwitted younger sibling of Feathers McGraw -- remember the evil penguin in the second Wallace and Grommit film? It's brilliant...in a dimwitted sort of way. Can't wait to see him (or her) all fired up.