07 February 2012

118 Before (2/7/20)12

It's been longer than I care to admit since I've been in the studio making pots...but, I expect to be getting plenty of quality time with my Shimpo Whisper Wheel in the days to come.
When I first built my kiln I did a lot of testing...after 11 firings I have a much better understanding of it's qualities and I decided that a good way to begin this cycle was with a series of tests. I'm always looking for something new and interesting or better. So I made these little cups/shot glasses/drinking bowls, gave them each a number, and then did a series of tests. I used a half pound or less, so they are quite petite. I have always enjoyed the challenge of making small pots that are also as elegant as a normal sized pot. Not always easy. Lots of 'finger-tip' throwing.
I've mixed kaolins and fluxes, did a 21 point triaxial blend looking for a black and blue slip, and tested some mixes of ash and local clay.
See the Valentine?

7 comments:

Anna M. Branner said...

You are definitely a scientist at heart.

gz said...

A fellow alchemist!!
An enquiring mind is alive :-)

Hannah said...

Yikes! I love the idea of that testing lark but some how never actually get around to doing it.
Looks good. Are you going soppy in your old age with the heart shaped one?

cookingwithgas said...

We heart you.....I envy the attention to detail.

smartcat said...

I nominated/ awarded you The Versatile Blogger Award.

I have a post about What To Do!

Joe Troncale said...

Let us know how it comes out!!!
Remember E=mc2

Lorraine said...

I love throwing a little pot to match a big pot, also. The cuteness factor is off the charts. It's funny though, that when I photograph them, they look huge.