09 April 2010

2/4-The Other ACC

I have been nominated and seconded for membership in The American Ceramic Circle, which is a non-profit educational organization committed to the study and appreciation  of post-medieval pottery and porcelain in Europe, Asian ceramics from all periods and anything ceramic in North America. The 400 strong membership is made up of museum curators, collectors, institutions and dealers. And hopefully one potter.
As I reported earlier, the conference in Williamsburg was wonderful and two of the many folks I met there have put my name forward. I feel very honored and I hope that I can be a bit of a bridge between those of us who make pots and those that study them. My university education taught almost no pottery history and it is a subject I've pursued on my own for a long time. I'm excited to have access to all these great scholars!

3 comments:

Monique said...

Hey Dan,

I would love to take in some pottery history but don't know where to start.
In The Netherlands pottery is not very big and i would love to read some more on pottery history.
Do you have any suggestions on books?
Maybe my search is easier when I know a title or an author.....
Thanks so much!!

Grtz,
Monique

Hannah said...

Hi Dan, blimey you are always so busy. A great run of posts there. I especially like the medieval pottery part, very exciting and I think you really should be in that group too. I bet you'd have a lot to offer them aswell as being able to learn a lot from them.

To Monique in the comment above, if you want to know about some history within the Netherands you could contact Niek Hoogland and his wife Pim, they live in Tegelen I think the place is called right in the south of The Netherlands. He would be able to point you in the right direction, we stayed with him a year or so ago and he took us to some fabulous museums with medieval pots galore!

Best wishes,
Hannah

Quietly Otaku said...

I've recently been writing an article for UK Handmade about sunderland pottery I think in a way its a bit of a dying art pottery.

Its a real shame that some of our traditional crafts dont get passed on.