06 April 2010

In the Land of the Blind, the One-Eyed Man is King

I seldom make commissioned pots anymore, but 'The Littlefield Project' was impossible to refuse. While I was making it I was thinking of Edan Schwartz, a student of mine at Penland years ago, who made very expressive face mugs by pinching and folding thrown pot. Since taking this photo I've made a few changes...eliminating the uni-brow for one. If you roll back a few blogs you'll see Michael's drawing.
I planted a couple of fig trees in front of the studio yesterday. Already dreaming of fresh juicy fruit...

7 comments:

cookingwithgas said...

I just have to shake my head--- I see a lot of face jugs here in our part of NC and they all just make me shake my head.
One fig tree will feed an army!
Two- you will be a king of figs!

Anna M. Branner said...

I know you avoid the "face thing" but, Dan, this jar rocks!

Unknown said...

What fig variety do you find to be reliable that far north? Does the fence we see in the picture shield the fig bush (to be) on the north side? Inquiring minds want some figs too......

Dan Finnegan said...

For Fred: Two varieties survive here "Celeste" and "Brown Turkey". I've planted them up against the reed fencing that encloses my kiln shed, so you are correct...facing south, sheltered from the north.

gz said...

Have you restricted the roots atall?
If not you might get a huge tree and not many figs

Anonymous said...

the littlefield project marches forward... it's a good likeness

gz said...

As requested- I just googled restricting fig rots- Reads are one of the best plant nurseries.
http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/cultural-advice/fig-trees.html

You could also go on www.downsizer.net forum and ask Tahir's advice!
See you there :-)