09 March 2011

Where Ideas Come From...

I'm not sure who first suggested to me that I turn a piece that I had made upside down, but I've been doing it for a long time! Stacking forms on top of each other is another way to try and see things differently. I think that 'seeing' is the most important part of a creative life and I don't want to get too accustomed to accepting obvious solutions to my work.
Pot on top of pot....a new totem idea...?
These two on top of each other are an interesting, and maybe even better, approach to my totem idea. I would usually have each piece diminish in size as I stacked them up....like the one that just finished, but I really like the 'posture' of these two together...very anthropomorphic, don't you think?  So, I'm asking myself, how high can I take these? 3 high...4...?
I am reminded of the tree pruning technique called "pollarding".  
Shiva, the multi-limbed Hindu goddess also comes to mind. 
Then I started wondering could I put digits on the end of these spout-like appendages and turn them into hands?! Some ideas are just plain scary...
               I've been thinking about these birds as legs or bases for a while and, while I have no concrete ideas yet, I'm sure that I'll do something with it eventually! I really like the look of this.

2 comments:

Anna M. Branner said...

And who says the bird heads have to be lined up??? Ya know??

gz said...

I used to work in a pottery that also had candlemakers and woodworkers. It was good bouncing ideas around each other and having someone who came from a completely different starting point comment and suggest