01 June 2009

Where Clay Comes From...


I spent a good chunk of time today roadtripping down to Richmond. I delivered pots to be shipped to England for the show I'm doing with Toff in a few weeks and then wandered back to the studio via some lovely country routes. I stopped at a couple of antique Emporiums and actually bought a couple of nice old salt glazed jugs. I'll post pictures soon. I'm not an extravagant spender, but I'm still a sucker for pots.
When I got back to the studio I proceeded to glaze my Martin Bros. piece. I let it get a bit too dry before raw glazing and it cracked! from a point at the rim where I had created a registration mark. It is pretty wrecked, and certainly can no longer 'go on the market', but I will still fire it just to start working out the glazing part as well as get some fruit from the labors of making it. It took hours. I don't put bad pots in a kiln as a rule. But I'm also famous for making exceptions.


I love towns with unique names. Frog Level is down rt. 301 in Hanover County. In England I know a village named 'Crinkley Bottom' !

4 comments:

Dennis Allen said...

There is a town named Beaver Lick in northern Ky.It is also home of the Beaver Lick Baptist Church.Guess it beats handling rattlesnakes.

Anonymous said...

it's a shame about the crack... still like to see how you glaze it

sarah perry said...

merde!! at least you'll still fire it--it's quite a sweet bird.

Dan Finnegan said...

Hey, I'd know that 'marde' anywhere!! Hello Sarah P! I'm glad to know your checking on me.